Sunday, November 4, 2007

Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Soup

This was very tasty...and as Jason would say "This is good s@#!". I had been wanting to make this recipe that I found on Allrecipes.com, and I finally had the perfect chance because we currently have no stove. We moved a week ago and have yet to take the time and buy a new one...actually we need to get a dishwasher too.

INGREDIENTS
1 onion, chopped
1 (16 ounce) can chili beans
1 (15 ounce) can black beans
1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
1 (12 fluid ounce) can or bottle beer
2 (10 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with green chilies, undrained
1 (1.25 ounce) package taco seasoning
3 whole skinless, boneless chicken breasts

other spices - see My Notes below
shredded Cheddar cheese (optional)
sour cream (optional)
crushed tortilla chips (optional)
DIRECTIONS

Place the onion, chili beans, black beans, corn, tomato sauce, beer, and diced tomatoes in a slow cooker. Add taco seasoning, and stir to blend. Lay chicken breasts on top of the mixture, pressing down slightly until just covered by the other ingredients. Set slow cooker for low heat, cover, and cook for 5 hours.
Remove chicken breasts from the soup, and allow to cool long enough to be handled. Stir the shredded chicken back into the soup, and continue cooking for 2 hours. Serve topped with shredded Cheddar cheese, a dollop of sour cream, and crushed tortilla chips, if desired.

My Notes: I did not have an onion around so I added onion flakes. I also added some fresh garlic, smoked paprika, red pepper flakes, garlic powder, cumin, salt and pepper. I served it with a healthy dose of sour cream, shredded cheese and Utz White Corn Tortilla Chips.
Here is a photo of it without all the fatty goodness:


5 comments:

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

This sounds like a hearty robustly flavoured soup. The beer would give it that extra depth of flavour. Thanks for the recipe melissa!

MissMissy said...

Sounds so good!!! I love Taco Soup with hamburger meat so the chicken will be a great change!!! Thanks for posting!

Carrie said...

This looks so good. I am looking for new recipes for my slow cooker, this will be saved :-)

~Amber~ said...

This looks pretty darn tasty!! Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

You have shared just a wonderful recipe! It was very easy to make and everyone loved it. I think adding some more beans would make it tastier. However, it's great the original way too! I will definitely make this over and over!